Friday 24 February 2012

The Wheeler Brothers! 'Music is our life'

An Exclusive interview with the 'Wheeler Bro's' We can tell you now, They are more than just 'MR NO 1'!

 I Just wanna
be with you everyday,
 now please my little lady
don't turn away,
cause I love you

oooh baby baby baby baby
come home, with me tonight..

Luke & Jack Wheeler are Brothers from Birmingham in the West Midlands. Although, they don't know what home time means sometimes - from past experience??! They talk to us about the song 'Come home with me' and more!

Luke, 26 aka MR NO.1 is a Singer, Song Writer, Producer and DJ (DJ LAW) he is responsible for the catchy tune 'Come home with me' and his brother Jack aged 21, aka Tria Mera is also a keen and talented music producer, singer song writer - responsible for the brand new 'She's So Retro'. Luke & Jack are also group members of 44 Degrees and The Show. The Wheeler bro's have been writing & producing music, along with experimenting with instruments and singing since they were teenagers (They only have their parents to blame?). Let's find out more as The Patch UP goes beneath the surface..!

So then Luke, who has the biggest musically influence?

We both started producing music around the same time. I was around 17 and Jack soon followed, back then our tastes in music were very different. I was producing speedgarage and Jack was a Hip Hop head! As we both got older the gap in our musical tastes grew smaller, and we started working together. Influencing each other from our different musical perspectives! We both took a lead role, listening and working together.

Aswell as electronic Music Production, What instruments do you guys play?

Between us we can play drums, guitar, bass, piano , vocal and rap!


Who have you previously collaborated with? Have you done any remixes for people that we should know about, do we already know about?

We have collaborated with many people but the ones we want people to know about are; Jenny Jones, Shanie Louise, Jayye Jackin and Dappa D

Describe your musical style?

Luke: I like to incorporate all styles and Genres into my music. I think experimentation is key, I wouldn't say that i have a particular style as I like to keep it fresh!

Jack: I Like to infuse elements of hip hop, indie/rock, house and electronica into one genre. overall i just like to make good music that everybody can enjoy listening to.

What is your Favourite album & who are the artists you are currently listening to?


Luke: Favorite albums would be; Biggy Smalls - Ready to die, and Pink Floyd - Dark side of the moon! I don't really listen to current music if I can help it, it seems to cloud my musical direction and originality!

Jack: My Favourite albums would have to be Dre 2001 and The Slim Shady LP because both albums have strong themes and I feel a good album should be like watching a film, have an overall meaning or message incorporated into it. Artists I'm currently listening to are The Beatles, Slim Shady, Biggie, Calvin Harris and Deadmau5.

What's your favourite Country that you have visited and why? Is there anywhere you would like to go?

Luke: India is the best place i have been to. The sights, smells and the way of life is very inspiring. The place I would like to visit most is the Amazon Rainforest, Its the way the earth should be!

Jack: I Really Enjoyed India as well, Their way of life is totally different to ours and their spirituality really interests me. Their music interests me a lot more though as it disproves music theory, after all its only theory not Fact!

What is now your typical Friday night?

We used to be out a lot, but times have changed in my eyes and does not interest us that much anymore. We would rather have close friends round for a laugh. Our typical Friday night consists of us locking ourself away in the home studio and seeing where the music takes us! (Our neighbours hate us, lol :)

Tell us a funny story that's happened in your past musical experiences?
Luke: When I was 17 I went to a club on Boxing Day, I got carried away and had one too many! I was dancing like someone possessed! A friend came over and said "luke were leaving now", so I replied, "no I'm staying"! He then said luke, its the end of the night, the music has stopped, the lights are on and everyone's gone! CLASS!! :)


Who is your biggest musical inspiration?

Our dad got us into music, he played guitar, piano and sang! Our house was always filled with music, from the Beatles to Motown. We always looked up to him and thought what a waste of talent because he never used it, but he did have a wife and four children to look after. He never had the time, that’s why we will never give up on our dream!

Any future collabs on the cards? Who would you most likely want to collaborate with and why?

We have a few projects in the pipeline, you'll have to wait and see! We would collar with anyone, you don't know how it will end up if you don't try. Some times you click, sometimes you don't.

What tracks have you produced that has shown the true you / meaning behind the music?

Luke : My girlfriend passed away 7 yrs ago and I've never been able to express my true feelings. So I wrote a song called "A song for Jayne". Have a listen it speaks for itself, it helped me say things I would never have been able to express in words alone.

Jack: Theres a track I made about a year back, called shadows follow me. You can listen to it on my soundcloud, Its a rap song. I produced/performed/wrote it, its pretty much sums up a dark period in my life that I am not yet fully out of. It expresses something I'm still going through with my darker side and external influences that are still influencing me.

Tell us about making the video and the music for MR NO.1 – what influenced you?

We made MR NO.1 "come with me" on a drunken night. We had come to a wall in the style of music we was making and wanted a break from the norm. So we started a track with no thought, direction or care, it just flowed! We really enjoyed making it, it was new and exciting! we left it on our hard drive for a good year and showed no one. Then we got bored with music completely and was looking for something else to sink our teeth into, so we turned to video!
So we took the MR NO.1 track and decided to put a video to it. So we and a few pals had a laugh doing the video. We uploaded it to youtube to see what reaction we got from it and it took off, with positive feedback.
We were approached by Jayye Jackin and Dappa D to do a house remix. They made the remix and it did the business on the Birmingham club scene.

Musically, what are your aims on the next 12 months?

Keep doing what we have been, thats all we can do! Recognition and appreciation of our music would be nice. Well Guys, We appreciate what you do! A BIG thank you :)

The Patch UP would like to thank Luke & Jack for taking time out. We wish them well with their musical success. We have compiled a list of useful links below, so please show your support and don't forget to click play! :)




Links

Interview and edit by hugh b trey - patchup 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment