Monday 27 February 2012

ENIGMA DUBZ 'From Classical to Grime'

This man has played in an Orchestra, taken part in Classical Concerts and Rocked the dancefloor Floor with his Heavy Bass sound at the EDC Festival! Yes that's right, it's 'ENIGMA DUBZ'

The Patch UP goes inside the musical mind of Enigma Dubz 'From Classical to Grime' The Interview.

Enigma Dubz real name; James Vine is a multi talented music producer from the City of Birmingham in the West Midlands. He is best known for his Bass Heavy Productions along with a varied style of music, just like his Album title explains 'Variationz'. His tracks have received plays from DJ's all over. He continues his quest in music and consistently goes for a different style every time with Drum & Bass, Dubstep, and Garage Influences, alongside deep atmospheres and melodies.. From dancefloor to chill out & Classical to Grime. This is Enigma Dubz' Question Time!


Please start by telling us about your background & what best describes your style.

My style is always changing and versatile. Coming from a classical background, melody has always been an important factor in my tracks. Once I found the UK Garage and Dubstep scene's, I found that bass was just something else. My tracks usually have a heavy bass or deep atmosphere alongside the melody.

So, What makes you tick / get up in the morning?

The idea of creating something new and original.

What instruments do you / can you play? Have you featured any live instruments in your tracks?

I grew up playing the cello and achieved my Grade 8. I can also play the Piano and achieved Grade 5 before leaving the exam process and just playing to compose. I have used my Cello in a track, it was a chilled acoustic mix of Katie McLeod's Under My Skin, sounded really good too!

What is your biggest Influence, musical inspiration?

Classical music is a big inspiration of mine and playing in Orchestras. I'd say that Garage music is also a huge influence of mine, it was the Genre that really got me into producing and made me realize I had a real passion for Bass and Beats.

What's on the Agenda for the rest of 2012?

Lots more music! I'm just finishing my second album called 'Genesis' which will be coming out on LU10 Records and I'm sure there will be plenty more from me coming out on LU10 this year to. Hopefully some official remix work to, definitely need to get on that. I'm going to be pushing my DJ sets more this year, so you'll hopefully see me on some big nights in 2012.

You have just made a Track Called 'I only smoke Weed' What influenced you when making this particular track?

Cannabis is the major influence, hence the vocal sample and the Dub/Reggae vibe. Also Influenced by the whole Dubstep vibe and how well these tracks go down on a phat system, like how Subdub in Leeds used to be.

Places to go out in your City? Where do you like to be seen at night?

The best places to go in Brimingham I'd say are The Rainbow Warehouse, Custard Factory and Hare and Hounds Pub as these venues attract a crowd which wants to hear good music, rather then be there for the image.

Do you have a Claim to fame?

One of the best moments so far for me is seeing Laidback Luke dropping one of my tracks (Darnce) at the 2010 EDC festival and watching the fireworks go off with the crowd going nutts!

James, please tell us about an embarrassing experience? :)

I remember something really embarrassing happening in a classical concert around 8 years ago in a church hall. We were playing Sheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov which really is solid to play and requires alot of concentration. During the violin solo the orchestra has around a 60 bar rest and cello section have 1 note to pluck about 30 bars into it (roughly, I can't remember the exact time). I was watching the conductor and counting but I must have skipped a few bars and as I was the section leader I had to be confident and lead the other cellists. I was so adamant I had counted properly that I came with a really loud pizzicato note (Plucking)....but i was wrong! No one else played with me, the conductor just slowly glanced at me with the sort of expressions which said 'wtf' and I just slowly lowered my bow and sat there feeling like such an idiot. Even the violin soloist looked over during her solo just to rub it in even more. It was truly embarrassing, thank god it wasn't the Symphony Hall lol

What's happening currently on the release front? Future and current?

Are You Ready For The Bass E.P Forthcoming on Bassclash Records, Headroom E.P - Forthcoming Subdepth Records, Genesis Album - Forthcoming LU10 records and The Rainbow E.P - Forthcoming LU10 Records. All of these have not got a release date set yet, but keep an eye on my soundcloud and facebook for the date announcement asap. Also be sure to grab my mix CD 'Sub-Mission Vol 1' which is available at HQ Muzic Birmingham or online at Bandcamp and just released Katie McLeod's Brighter Day E.P - On LU10 Records available at Beatport.

Other than music, what else interests you?

Other than music I love watching films and going to the cinema. I'm also a keen cook and enjoy being in the kitchen. To be fair I just love creativity so anything to do with that grabs my attention.

Tell us about a memorable experience, when was it and what happened?

One thing that comes to mind is sitting on the edge of the plane before I did my skydive, that's hard to forget! Also traveling through India is a real life experience, really was amazing to be there with my girlfriend.

Talk about any random subject, Something on your mind. It can be Something political, Something current, Anything?!

I'd like to take this opportunity to talk about The British Goat Society. I don't know if anyone else is interested in goats, I'm certainly not. I would give you some info about them but there website seems to be down and I don't really know anything about goats, so that will have to be all. Ha ::)

Finally, Please specify a link for the general music lovers to view what you do.




We would like to thank Enigma Dubz for taking time to speak to us and wish him well with his Sounds :) Please see the below links to hear more of his music and check out his Release Dates.

Soundcloud: ENiGMA Dubz


Interview and edit by hugh b trey - patchup 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment